WebHome | UnixGeekTools | Geekfarm | About This Site
post-install instructions from portage
1. If this is a new installation, you will need to create a database for ZM to
use. Execute the following:
mysql mysql < db/zm_create.sql
> grant select,insert,update,delete on zoneminder.* to '<username>'@localhost identified by '<password>';
2. Edit /etc/zm.conf:
ZM_PATH_BUILD => /usr/share/zoneminder
ZM_PATH_WEB => /var/www/localhost/htdocs/zoneminder
ZM_PATH_CGI => /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin
Also set your database settings.
3. Login: http://localhost//zoneminder/zm.php
Default username/password are admin/admin.
I've been a fan of the brooktree (bttv) tv cards for several years.
- kernel config: "Multimedia Devices", "Video 4 Linux". enable "BT848 Video For Linux"
# load the kernel module
# this shows PAL which didn't work, I used NTSC
zmu -d /dev/v4l/video0 -q -v
- PV-149 - 4 port video capture card
I've used x10 cameras for this purpose, these cameras are much better.
They are also hard-wired, which I prefer over wireless.
- field of view
- recommend at least 60 degrees, depending on the intended use
- many cheaper cams have only around 45 degress FOV
- i'm purchasing outdoor cams for use in minnesota
- minimum temperature is a concern.
- 0 degrees C (14 degrees F) is probably not going to cut it
- minimum lux
- ideally looking for something around .1 Lux without IR
- for use at night
- Infrared LEDs
- limited distance and field of illumination
- something small that's difficult to see under the eaves of the house
- Swann Outdoor Weatherproof Day/Night Security Camera
- unfortunately i have found that this camera has some problems:
- it re-adjusts for brightness very frequently compared to
- it whites out when pointed at the grass 15-20 ft away while
the sun is shining directly on the grass.
- $60 for the black version on outpost.com
- 11 IR LEDs
- 2 inches diameter, 3 inches depth, and 4-1/2 inches height
- safe to -5F
- 40 degree vision
- Q-SEE Outdoor CCD B&W Cameras
- 0.5 lux, IR LEDs
- Clover CM600W B/W Outdoor Bullet Camera
- no IR, .1 Lux
- tiny (2 x 6 x 2 centimeters)
- only safe to +14F
- Lorex SG6153 - Weather Resistant Mini Color Camera with Night Vision
- 7 IR LEDs
- very small
- only safe to +14F
- need to investigate
- some are safe to -30F
Updated Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:16 PM